Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Hospital Saga, Part 1

ORIGINAL VERSION
LAST POST WAS "FIELD PEA" OF 12-22-07.

This isn't the first child we've had, so I should have known how it would affect my daily routines. Before I get into routines, however, let me start the story a few days ago, in the middle. . .

Jennifer went into the hospital December 21 and had the C-section. The hospital itself was decorated somewhat for Christmas. It didn't make much of an impression on me, but the nearest waiting area outside of the room was a little hall (balcony?) with a gas fireplace, probably some poinsettias, and a Christmas tree. Both the stairs and the elevator went to this area, there were some children's books, and seating for seven or eight. I think it made an impression on Connor.

I stayed at the hospital that night, and at home on Saturday. Sunday morning, when I said I'd be going to the hospital and staying the night again, Jellybean told me not to go because the roads were slick. After I explained that I had to, he told me not to go until after dark. I told him I had to, but that I would take him to see Christmas houses that evening before Grandma and Grandpa took him home.

Christmas houses, as you probably guessed, are any houses with prominent holiday light displays. Idaho Falls has a road known as Candy Cane Lane, on which virtually all of the houses are decorated. I figured that would be a good starting point for a half-hour or so drive.

I had a bit of a time with the weather when Jellybean was born. The weather has been no more cooperative this time around, and Jennifer's father was not fond of the trip under these conditions. Although they came to the hospital later in the afternoon, in order to let me show Jellybean the lights, they asked me to take him to see the lights before things had gotten as dark as I would have liked.

We went to Candy Cane Lane, which I thought was a bit disappointing, then over to a neighborhood where I knew one house had lights up in all the trees in the yard -- and we're talking about fifty-foot tall trees fully decorated with lights. Unfortunately, they weren't on when we passed. So I drug out the drive longer than I would have, in order to give it a chance to get dark so Jellybean could see. But the winter jacket, full-blast defroster, and motion of the car left me with a sleeping child before the prominent displays were lit. Oh, well.

Before he went out, though, Jellybean was talking about the hospital, and calling it the "Christmas hospital." When we got back to the hospital, I asked him if he had enjoyed the lights. He said that he had. And then he asked me if we could stay at the hospital forever. After we were back in the room, he made similar comments talking to his mother -- could we stay forever and ever. That is how I know it made an impression on him.

Okay, the hospital didn't make the same impression on me. However, it did make a good one. And I'll explain why in part 2.

-=-

No comments: