Sunday, January 03, 2010

Heroes and Criminals

In the vein of talking to you about letters to the editor published in the local paper -- despite the fact that no one else who reads this reads that paper -- I am going to rant a bit about a perfectly good letter printed this weekend.

The woman was writing to complain about the redistribution of wealth. The villain in her letter is the government. She drew parallels between the government and Robin Hood, using the "steal from the rich and give to the poor" line. Then she went on to say that Robin Hood was a criminal, and it's a shame that our society idolizes not only Robin Hood, but sympathetic rogues in general who are really nothing more than thugs.

Now, I really have no objection to the contention that our government is a bunch of thugs. I don't think it's true, but I can sympathize with the idea, much as I can sympathize with a likable rogue even if he is a criminal. After all, I'm still reading stories about Vladimir Taltos, who as likable rogues go is unapologetically evil. But I have to draw the line at the contention that Robin Hood was merely a criminal.

I doubt this woman would have labelled George Washington, et al, as mere criminals. The letter didn't cover her beliefs about the American Revolution. The Founding Fathers weren't known for redistributing wealth, and would therefore not have served a purpose in her letter. But I'd say her mindset is probably that the United States is a Good Thing, and the revolution justified.

Her historical perspective on Robin Hood, therefore, is lacking. She either does not know, or does not care, that the "rich" in the Robin Hood stories were the Norman invaders and their sympathizers, or that the "poor" were the Saxon populous. And perhaps that's to her credit if the audience she is writing for doesn't know the same. But would people really like the character if all he did was redistribute wealth, with no further justification to his actions? Personally, I doubt it.

You may recall a different take on the same premise. Well received as a comedy, but not held up for emulation that I've ever heard of.

Yes, that's it. I object not to the portrayal of using lawful means to impose taxes on citizens, even progressive taxes supporting programs available only to those below a certain income, as thuggery, but to the failure to give the story of Robin Hood in context. And why not -- it's a crime to slander a nation's hero in such a manner.

-=-

No comments: