Jellybean's kindergarten is already engaging in a practice that I consider unethical, after only three weeks. I refer of course, to the fundraiser. In particular, the fundraiser where a child is asked to sell products to family and friends.
Such sales are ubiquitous now, so why do I consider them unethical? All the school has done is take a class of five and six-year-olds, held an assembly where they learned all the cool toys they could earn by selling so many items (Jellybean has his heart set on the flying disc that lights up, which requires the sale of 5 items; but at least in the kindergarten program you earn a prize for making a single sale). Then, the school sent these children home with packets of the sales info, in the realistic expectation that the successful ones will badger their parents into doing the selling for them.
Or, more likely, the buying. This year's spread of items seems geared towards the Christmas gift. And those people who get gifts from the boys may just be getting school funding gifts this year. So apparently we're suckers falling for this after all.
Neither Jennifer nor I think this is appropriate behavior from the school. She has her own dilemma, working for a school.
But Eldest Son is going to have a dilemma of his own. Jennifer and I have talked about two Christmas presents coming from the catalog, and that we would buy one random other item. That will be two purchases short of a flying disc. He doesn't seem to realize that there is a deadline (next Monday) and that he's going to have to sell the other two to earn that toy.
-=-
No comments:
Post a Comment