Saturday, January 08, 2005

Storm of the Century

My wife and I have still to send our Christmas cards to folks.  More effort than usual went into Christmas cards this year, meaning that we sat for the photograph to go on them early in December.  Oddly enough, at the time of our sitting the cards were not ready until December 22, but the studio was guaranteeing delivery by the 24th for sittings as late as the 22nd.  Still, the reason we haven't sent the cards is not that we got them late.  It's that we're on baby time.

If I understood what my sister said about baby time, being on baby time means that it doesn't matter when we do something, but simply that we do it.  She did not tell me how long this would remain the case.  I haven't tried to explain to any utility companies that as long as I paid the bill, regardless of when, it's okay.  I also haven't used it as an excuse at work.  But for many things aside from bills, that's the way things have been working lately.

Take the storm. . .  As I write this, Friday at 10 pm, the "Storm of the Century" should be dumping major amounts of snow outside, with high winds to make sure it drifts where it's least convenient.  Even when I first heard that the storm of the century would be bearing down on us, I knew they could only get away with calling it that because this century isn't very far along, and we haven't had any real storms in it so far.  But it's a little surprising to know that with all the doom and gloom newscasts, and the flooding of supermarkets with last minute shoppers yesterday (although I had shopped the day before), and the closing of local schools today, this morning was the sunniest day we've had in weeks and maybe -- just maybe -- we've gotten an inch of snow out of the clouds that have rolled in since.

Even our emergencies are operating on baby time.  Life is good.

A decade ago, or so, when I was still in Virginia, they were predicting a hurricane would make landfall right where I lived and worked.  The day before, we spent our time preparing for the storm -- covering the computers and documents, taping windows.  Then we were told not to report to work the next day.  Some folks headed inland.  I'd never been in a hurricane, wasn't close enough to the coast to worry about a storm surge, and didn't really think it would be all that bad.

The hurricane stalled off the coast.  We ended up with a calm, sunny day.  Not far away, they were in thunderstorms.  Some people, seeing there was no storm, reported to work.  Some who reported to work were sent home again, because they'd been told not to report.  Some who didn't report to work were called at home and told to come in.  Which happened really depended on the manager of the particular department.  I didn't report in, and was not called.

Within a week of the hurricane not hitting, the company issued a new "liberal leave" policy.  The policy said that in cases of inclement weather you could take vacation time without getting the time off preapproved by management.

The policy where I work now says that if the major highways are open, we're to report to work regardless of the conditions of the secondary roads.  I can't complain about the policy, although it is a bit disconcerting to know that a 50+ mile detour may be involved in travelling highways that are open.  It also states that conditions on the secondary roads can excuse being late to work.  Just maybe, next week, I'll be able to work on baby time, too.

No comments: